You are all gearing up for the year end exams. For the matrics it is possibly one of the most stressful times of your young lives. But it is not just students who have exam stress. Teachers feel it too.
Here are a few tips and tricks for getting rid of stress:
10 Minutes or more:
- For teachers – Tell anyone you’re interacting with, students, other teachers or even loved ones, that you need 10 minutes of space to get some distance due to stress. Let them know when you’ll get back to them and stick to it!
- Call a friend to talk.
- Take a walk, do some jumping jacks, or engage in some other form of exercise that will get your heart racing.
Only have 5 minutes?
- Pet or cuddle an animal. Animals are natural stress relievers.
- Set a timer and talk in a softer tone of voice for just five minutes. If you are on your own, enjoy 5 minutes of complete silence.
- Write. Write anything. Don’t worry about how it sounds or if you’ll ever read it again.
- Take a few minutes to indulge your senses. Wash your hands with cold (or warm, depending on the weather) water, take your shoes off and walk outside on the grass.
Even more strapped for time?
- Practice mindfulness. http://www.helpguide.org/harvard/benefits-of-mindfulness.htm
- Change your surroundings. Go for a walk, go to the kitchen and grab a glass of water. As the saying goes – a change is as good as a holiday.
- Identify what is causing you stress. Consciously think of things that make you calmer and happy.
Anything else you can do?
- Drink a glass of water and really pay attention to all of the sensations involved in the process.
- Remind yourself to be in the present.
- Take time and do NOTHING. Absolutely nothing at all. Just for a few minutes.